Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Goodbye Weight Watchers

 When I decided to start this journey to lose weight, I chose Weight Watchers. I had heard nothing but great things about it, and still do. 
 I've been on the program now for 7 weeks and lost a total of 8.4 pounds. However, Weight Watchers is not cheap. It's $45 a month and that of course does not include food.

Losing 8.4 pounds in 7 weeks isn't bad. But considering my age (27) and overall fitness level, 8.4 pounds isn't that great either. I try really hard and just haven't seen the results I want, which are very realistic goals. I'm not trying to lose 5 pounds a week or anything crazy like that.

So since I'm not losing as fast as I think I should, I joined 24Hour Fitness 3 weeks ago and have been going at least 3 times a week and I LOVE IT. I feel fantastic. I can feel my body changing and getting stronger. I leave the gym feeling so accomplished.

You may be wondering why I chose 24Hour Fitness. There are a few other gyms in my town that are much cheaper than 24Hour Fitness is, however they don't offer childcare. I tried a gym that was only $10 a month, and although it didn't have half the amenities that 24Hour offers it was a nice gym, clean and had plenty of machines. So I tried working out there at 8pm after Connor went to bed. A couple times of doing that and I realized it was a losing battle. I'm exhausted at the end of the day, after taking care of Connor all day, household chores, errands, cooking dinner etc. I have 0 energy left for the gym.

So I had to find a gym that offered childcare. There are only 3 gyms in my town that do. And the monthly dues are all about the same. So I picked the one that fit my needs the best. However that came with a hefty price tag. You see, the monthly dues aren't that crazy, I got a great deal and only pay $44 a month! Not bad!! There's only one tiny problem, that is not including childcare. Childcare is almost as much as my monthly dues. OUCH.

So you add the gym + Weight Watchers = outrageous for this family living on one income. (Quick shout out to my AMAZING husband who works so hard so that I can stay home and raise our son!)  So, I had to make a decision....

Give up Weight Watchers or give up the gym?

Well it was a no brainer for me.

I cancelled my Weight Watchers membership. I have learned SO much from the program over these 7 weeks that I am confident I can continue following the program on my own. The gym however gives me much much more than Weight Watchers. I am getting stronger and healthier. The gym isn't just about weight loss, it's about being a better me. Working out is good for everything, your heart, your brain, your muscles, etc. It's also amazing for anxiety which I suffer from.

So in my eyes, I do not see this as quitting or giving up, it's a sacrifice I have to make for my family. If I could afford both I would. But diapers aren't cheap people!!! 

So you will no longer see me at Weight Watcher meetings but you can bet your ass you'll see my ass in the gym. :)

I'll continue to weigh-in on Thursdays and keep writing about what is, and what's isn't working.

1 comment:

Bridget said...

I am sad to hear you cannot continue both WW and the Gym, but - like you said, now you know the system, have the benefit of the gym - so ... you will succeed! Just like you always do! xoxo